Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pink for Girl, My first labor & delivery shoot, the story & images

"Isn't she lovely, Isn't she wonderful? 
Isn't she precious, less than one minute old." ~~ Stevie Wonder, Isn't She Lovely

     I had been put on alert by my friend that I was going to be her hospital call when she went into labor, so needless to say when the day came I swear I was more ready and hyper than she was. I went to her house to grab her, helped her out along with her Mary Poppins bag that was no kidding at least 30 pounds, and we were off like a shot to the hospital. We of course argued over which way was the correct entrance and drop off, and she got all checked in while I went to park and bring her bag up.
     I personally have had two C Sections, so I have never seen anyone in labor, let alone been present for a birth. Now I have of course seen some loud 'n crazy hollering during labor in movies and what not, but my friend was doing none of this. Long story short, she was a trooper and although I had been warned that natural births can sometimes take hours upon hours, I was only at the hospital for almost 2 hours before baby arrived. During those two hours her husband came down to the hospital, her parents. I pretty much just hung back and kept quiet, 50% of me just 'being there' for my friend yet giving her and her family the privacy and space I felt they should have, and 50% of me getting ready to be photographer - sizing up the room, the mirrors, the light, mentally going through my lenses, deciding where would be the best spot to shoot from so I wouldn't be in the way, etc.
     I am not a photographer who loves using flash or flash photography. So light was an important factor here and even though it was daylight out, I knew I would be at a low F stop and my ISO would be jacked a bit. I didn't mind that because I would rather have a little bit of character-making grain than harsh, false light. (However, if I didn't have the cam I have with it's low-light capabilities and I absolutely had to use flash, I would always ceiling bounce it. Flash directly aimed at baby always felt a bit unsettling to me.)
     I already knew I wanted to make a slideshow for my friend so I started documenting the day right away, mostly with my 70-200mm 2.8 IS, so I could move in a semi-circle around the foot of the bed and the people surrounding it, zooming in for tight face shots when needed, without crowding with something like a prime lens. I just knew I wanted to be a fly on the wall, not annoying the doctors, not crowding my friend and her husband, not being a distraction, just a silent witness pretty much.
One of the first things I did was utilize the mirror on the other side of the room. It gave a different perspective and I didn't even have to move from my seated spot in the back corner.

Parents at bed-side
The epidural! At this shot I was completely behind everyone and not close to them at all, so always be aware of your mirrors in the room and how they can help with perspectives.

Once I let the doctors take their place and get everything set up, then I was able to move around the room more knowing where I was going and would be ok. To get more of these types of detailed 'little moments' shots, some of the most important ones. A birthing shoot isn't just about the momentous seconds of when baby is delivered, it's everything leading up to it and around it. A squeeze of the hand, a kiss on the forehead, a smile of thanks or courage, etc. 



The light provided for the birth by the doctors was a great backlight for baby, she looked like a little angel! My vantage point was good, up and to the left of mom, back against the wall. Nothing is better than a fantastic zoom lens! ISO can be brought down at this point because of the additional doctor's light. 
  


And again, don't forget the details! Look at those little wrinkled new footsies!

I moved to the other side of the room again and stood on one of the waiting chairs that was way back against the wall, giving a decent overview for some first moment images. My F Stop was 2.8 and ISO at around 8000. 


Once things settled down a bit and doctors cleared out, I was able to move a bit more freely around the room from a view point of the foot of the bed for those moments after, that are just as important, but I was still pretty far back. It's definitely family time and as the photographer, you're there to be respectful, invisible and quiet, yet efficient.  


 Gramma getting her first kiss in


And I just felt it was important to include photos captured of the people who helped, the doctors who were there, this nurse in particular who had been with my friend since she'd been admitted. They may see many births a day but they go through the process with you, too, they're your friends for that period of time. I looked through these photos later and you can almost tell that the nurse is sharing in the anticipation and slight anxiety of the moment, to quietly and fondly enjoying the new family she's been there to witness, on the same emotional trip we all were! 

  

So IMO, don't forget to document the special people who were there that day and helped your client (or friend ;) through the tough time and sooth them along the way.
All in all, it was a very memorable shoot, I learned a lot, fast, had to be fast, think fast, do fast! It is an experience I look forward to reliving again with clients down the road, with a bit more knowledge the next time. 

All images © carrie hampton photography
and have been approved for publication by subject.
Gear used: Canon 5D Mark III
70-200mm 2.8 IS, 85mm 1.8






   

No comments:

Post a Comment