Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Joanna the Gypsy

We did this shoot in about an hour, in Papago Park, Phoenix, AZ. I really wanted to do almost every shot in Brenizer Method because the background was so great and my subject so beautiful! (see link for specific Brenizer Method post: how to, what is is and what it does). No way did I want to take these from afar!
So Joanna and I get there, 90 degrees, and start hiking in (ahem... I mean, walking for 10 minutes in the rocky sand), me with my gear on my back and her with her twinkly gypsy skirt I picked out and her shit kickers, as she likes to call them. Joanna is a natural, although she doesn't realize it. She immediately got down to bizness, knew how t opose, how to look, which way the wind blew, etc. Because needless to say I was obsessed with her perfect hair, getting it to blow back all cool and fly right and juuuust the right amount in her face, etc. I had told her Stevie Nick's song Gypsy was the overall concept/look/idea for this shoot. She even made me sing it to her, while shooting, which of COURSE I did because I am crazy and dont care. And who doesn't look for any excuse to sing Stevie?! 
The next shot was under some trees where sun was coming through and soon we totally heard the loud swarming of bees, like right behind us. But I have to get the shot! So yah, we hurried but did it, and I was completely covered in pokie things all over my ass from leaning on the ground in front of her.
We rationed out our water, like all people in the desert should do...even though our car and a water fountain were maybe a three minute walk away..but still! We're playing the role here, hahahhaa. 
I had seen a cool dead tree where we walked in at so our last shot (which I haven't finished because it's a major composite piece) would be at that tree. What I saw in my head was a dark sky, dead trees, desert, dark sand, and a pretty girl clinging to the tree as the wind was blowing. But there's no wind, so I asked a male park spectator to help us. Poor guy had to stand behind Joanna and keep flipping and flipping her hair up and back as I clicked away, while his like, 80 year old friend stood next to me laughing and I'm sure my friend Joanna was cursing me for having some random dude touch her hair. Me, again with the hair!
I sent a few to Joanna after I'd finished them and asked what she thought. She said she loved them and in a few, she "looks really thirsty, it adds to the effect!"
Lmao..  Ugh, I luv her.



Gear used: Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 IS, 
Canon 85mm 1.8 EF, Promaster Variable ND filter
© carrie hampton














2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure which to look at.. her, or Arizona. Both incredibly beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, no doubt! It was certainly a shoot I could have done more of

      Delete